Thursday, May 4, 2017

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++

Streszczenie po polsku pod tekstem angielskim.
~~~

Paul and Joe?
What the heck? The name alone would always make me stay away from this particular brand. 
My personal history with Pauls and Joes did not bode well.
I've met a few Pauls in my life and they were all assholes. And the only Joe that crossed my path turned out to be a scam artist and just an all around creepy guy.

Enter Paul & Joe Beaute, which despite its trailer trash quasi-French name and female French origins, is actually a Japanese cosmetic brand. With a name like Paul and Joe it sounds like it should be selling deodorant for truck drivers in the Midwest, or something. But no... Add a fancy French sounding "beaute" to the name, throw in cute visuals designed to appeal to kawaii-obsessed women, add cats to the mix, and you have a successful mid-range cosmetic brand. 


CATS???

You heard me right.
Just look at this 15th anniversary makeup collection.


This is what finally roped me in.
I went in looking for cats. I left with a new sunscreen. And then I got another sun-something gifted to me (thank you Ms Y!) for good measure.


So, without any further ado, let me introduce today's, sadly cat-free, contestant.

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++
It's the one on the left.




Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ was launched in Japan on April 7, 2017 and it's the brand's best sun protection offered within its collection to date. Or somesuch.

This is what Paul & Joe says about Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ :


So yeah, I wanted cats. Instead I got this.
It's been almost 3 weeks and I think it's long enough to present my thoughts.

Let's keep it short. 
I like the idea of this sunscreen. And the texture. 
I hate everything else.

First, ohmyfreakingod, the smell. The scent of this thing makes your eyes water and your nose drip. It can also make your domestic pets want to commit violent acts of crazed destruction. 
The brand calls it "sunshine bouquet" with fresh fragrance of bergamot and lemon and whatever else.
I call it low-end trailer trash perfume. It smells like a small town shopping mall in the Midwest. And it lasts. And lasts. And lasts... It lasts pretty much all day until you wash it off. 
This is probably the longest lasting fragrance in a sunscreen that I have ever experienced. And trust me, I've experienced plenty of sunscreens.


It seems that Paul & Joe didn't quite know what to call this sunscreen. Because, let's face it, the Japanese sunscreen market is very crowded. We have literally everything you can think of. And probably a few things you can't. It's a very competitive scene and what's a brand to do in order to stand out and make a statement?

They should have gone with cats, if you ask me.

Instead they called this thing "gel milk".
Yep. It's a gel. It's a milk. It's a gel milk, you people.



But, as it usually happens in such cases, Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ is neither.

Here, take a look.


It feels more creamy than gely and definitely not milky. It does turn into something resembling watery gel when applied and spread out on the skin. However, even then the skinfeel is of a cream, not a gel. And definitely not of milk.

Having said that, I really like the texture. It's creamy but light, and I actually prefer creamy products.


As you can see, the tube is quite big. Considering the usual size of Japanese sunscreens (around 30 grams), this thing is double the size at 75 grams net weight.


The price? 2800 yen plus tax, which comes to 3024 yen total.

Sounds expensive, until you do a little math.
This tube is 75 grams. 
So here, we basically get 30 grams for 1120 yen pre-tax. Suddenly, we are firmly in the lower end drugstore category. 

The explanation for it is very simple. The ingredients are very basic and no-frills.

Here, take a look.

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ ingredient list:


Looks like your garden-variety no-name basic Japanese sunscreen, doesn't it?
I plugged them into CosDNA for your reading pleasure - link.

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ is a chemical sunscreen with the following UV absorbers:
  • Octinoxate
  • Uvinul A Plus
  • Tinosorb S
  • and Parsol SLX.

It covers the whole range of UVA1 and UVA2 and UVB. Nothing to complain about here.
And as most Japanese chemical sunscreens, it also contains alcohol (ethanol).

I am pretty sure that the violent "fresh" fragrance is there solely to mask the stench of ethanol. The alcohol can be felt on the skin, no doubt about it. But, unlike the fragrance, it evaporates pretty quickly. And even though I usually dislike formulations with ethanol as the second ingredient, this one does not bother my skin. At least it did not bother me on the days when I actually managed to wear this this thing for the whole day. 


Testing Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ was an exercise in self control. I had to get my mind into that zen state of higher consciousness to be able to ignore the stench. I mean, the smell. I mean, the fresh bouquet fragrance. I managed to accomplish it by not taking my hay fever medication and becoming a mouth breather. No worries, I wore a mask in public.

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ swatches:



Despite its lovely texture and the company's assurances of moisturizing properties, it isn't moisturizing at all. It absorbs to a slight sheen, which disappears after an hour, or so (if worn without makeup). The feeling of freshness lasts a couple of hours at the most. I suppose it would work great for oily or normal skin, but for dry skin it's a no go.

Here is what the leaflet that was in the box says:


All standard, garden-variety sunscreen claims. No bells and whistles here.

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ does seem to work as a makeup base, but then again, I don't wear that much makeup. 

I couldn't find any claims of sweat- or sebum- or waterproofness anywhere on the box or the leaflet.


Time to summarize.

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ pros:
- texture
- stable, full UV protection
- skinfeel
- price per gram (yes, I am putting it in the "drugstore category")

Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ cons:
- fragrance
- smell
- stench
- ugh, the stink of this thing
- everything else.



And that concludes my review of Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++.

Now let's quickly take a look at this limited edition abomination - Paul & Joe Suncream.
Ms Y got it for me, so I would have the whole set. I would have never bought it on my own, because I just can't figure out the purpose of a "suncream". 


Sorry, but only a total idiot thinks that tanning can be safe and is good for our skin.
There is no such thing as "safe tan". 
Tan means your skin is burning. Tan means skin damage.  There is absolutely nothing "perfect" about it.


The overpowering scent we all know and love hate is still there.
The consistency is indeed creamy.
But the best part? It is a lot more moisturizing than its SPF50+ brother. Here, we have alcohol further down the ingredient list. 

I'm using Paul & Joe Suncream as a hand cream. My hands are far enough from my nose that the smell doesn't slay me. 

So there you have it.
Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ and Paul & Joe Suncream.



Final verdict? 
Meh. You might as well buy Biore Watery Essence. Or a couple of frappuccinos.


~~~

Streszczenie po polsku...

Poniewaz kosmetyki Paul & Joe sa dostepne w wielu krajach Europy, dodaje opinie po polsku.

Po pierwsze, ta nazwa. Gdyby jakas polska firma kosmetyczna nazwala sie "Pawel i Jozek" i zaczela sprzedawac wcale nietanie kosmetyki, to nie bardzo moge sobie wyobrazic jak zostalaby przyjeta przez publike.
Nazwa Paul & Joe mnie odrzuca, ale skoro mialam okazje sprobowac Paul & Joe Sun Protection Gel Milk SPF50+ PA++++ , to nie chcialam tej szansy zmarnowac. Szczegolnie, ze filtry SPF wszelakie to moja wielka milosc.

No i jak wyszlo nam z Pawelkiem i Jozkiem? Ano, niezbyt dobrze.
A wszystko przez okropny perfumowy zapach tego specyfiku. On nie pachnie. On po prostu zajezdza tanimi perfumami jak pani od katechizmu na odpuscie.
Sam filtr ma kremowa konsystencje (prosze nie wierzyc slowom "gel milk", bo to nie jest ani zel ani mleczko), nie bieli, ladnie sie wchlania, na skorze zachowuje sie wysmienicie, nadaje sie pod makijaz i oferuje pelna ochrone UV (UVA1, UVA2 oraz UVB).
Nie jest nawilzajacy, wiec skory suche nie beda go lubialy. Natomiast normalne, mieszane w kierunku tlustych nie powinny miec z nim problemow.

Jest to filtr chemiczny i niestety ma etanol (alkohol) na drugim miejscu w skladzie.
Jak na filtr japonski (tak, jest on produkowany w Japonii), tubka jest gigantyczna, bo zawiera az 75 gramow produktu. Cena per gram jest przecietna jak na warunki japonskie.
Jesli ktos nie jest wrazliwy na zapachy i nie przeszkadza mu fakt, ze bedzie zalatywal wonnym bukietem rodem z jarmarku, to prosze bardzo, bedzie z Pawelka i Jozka bardzo zadowolony. Biale kozaczki do kompletu i pelen szyk.

5 comments:

  1. Nie wiedzialam, ze firma robi kosmetyki. Znam ich kotki, na torebkach widzialam.
    Te kosmetyczne kotki sa slodkie, ale nie mozna u nas nie ma sklepu online, tanio tez pewnie nie jest.
    Szkoda, ze filtry smierdza, pewnie migrene bym dostala od tego "zapachu".
    Ten filtr 10 to parodia, ale znam takie, co uzywaja takiego filtra na plazy srodziemnomorskiej. Nikt we Francji nie smaruje sie filtrem przez caly rok, (poza mna ;) i wg tubylcow slonce jest dobre, inaczej wit. D bedzie Ci brakowac. Nie wytlumaczysz, ze opalenizna to poparzenie, patrza na mnie jak na kosmite i mysla, zem glupia. Ich cera bardzo dobrze pokazuje ich wiek, a czesto wygladaja stazej. I pozniej probuja sie smarowac drogimi kremami, i czekaja na cud ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. W UK i w Irlandii sprzedaja ich makeup stacjonarnie w jakichs specyficznych butikach. Ale filtrow nie ma. To tylko na rynek azjatycki.

      Delete
  2. I do not understand something... yesterday I found very cute leather bag by Paul & Joe in some discount store in Poland. For a small discounted item it costs quite a lot. Is it the same brand? Is it Japanese? The bag was indeed awfully cute and it has 3 cutest cats on it... Probably I should of buy it... Hm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kora,
      the company itself is French, it's only the "beaute" division that is Japanese. So it's kind of the same brand, but different.

      Delete
  3. This post was awesome as usual, but it's bad omen (for P&J at least) when the cats in your photos are outperforming the sunscreen ...

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous and/ or unsigned comments will be deleted. No exceptions. All comments are moderated and will appear after approval.

Anonimowe komentarze bez podpisow beda ignorowane. Bez wyjatkow. Komentarze sa moderowane.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...